Saturday 29 March 2008

going google part 2 - imapsync

I've already mentioned that I'm going google.

The largest part of this is transferring my mail from my IMAP server up to gmail. That kept me up until 5 this morning, and is about half done. And let me tell you, it's been a pain.

I started in Thunderbird. I knew it would take some time, but I'd got all weekend, shift a thousand at a time, done before you know it. Nuh-uh. Thunderbird would only shift a couple of hundred at a time. Any more, and thunderbird grinds to a halt.

So I did a little googling, and found imapsync, which as I write this is doing the job. It's a perl program, with lots of command-line switches. Here's mine (sanitised)..


imapsync --host1 10.1.2.3 --user1 myusername --password1 xxxxxx \
--prefix1 /home/sites/site1/users/myusername/imapmail/ --authmech1 LOGIN \
--host2 imap.gmail.com --user2 my.googleid --password2 xxxxxx \
-ssl2 --skipsize --noauthmd5 --subscribed --delete --expunge \
--exclude SPAM|HAM|Drafts --split1 200 --split2 200 \
--nofoldersizes --regextrans2 s/[a-z]\/// --fast --syncinternaldates

  • --prefix1 /home/sites/site1/users/myusername/imapmail/ is to strip off the full path to my IMAP folder tree.
  • --regextrans2 s/[a-z]\///is because I've got my IMAP organised like a/alan, a/andy, d/dave, etc. It whips the initial letter and forward slash out of the gmail label.

The command line's a bit gnarly, but it's getting the job done. So big up imapsync.

No comments: