Monday 3 March 2008

GPS Timesheet idea

Now I imagine I'm your average tech geek, in that I'd much rather spend my time developing 'cool stuff' than drudge work, like filling in my timesheets.

In fact, so much so that I'm regularly in schtuck with my boss over it. He's werry understanding, but still...

So, I've got use of a blackberry 8820 with GPS, and a couple of applications that will produce tracklogs. And I can relatively easily send them to my PC via bluetooth. And I know where I work.

So, how about this:

  • keep the tracklogger on permanently.
  • upload to my PC whenever I remember.
  • persuade my PC to upload this to a webapp which..
    • knows where I work.
    • Will output a table (CSV export?) of when I arrived at work and when I left. Or at least a radius around where I work.
Now I think I can do this with what's available now. And I'm gonna have a go.

What would be better is the blackberry app that can twitter my current location every n minutes. So I build the whereaminow facebook app, etc, etc.

UPDATE Someones already done it, sorta. It's called blackberrytracker, but I'm stuck waiting for the registration email.

UPDATE Works great. Ish. Stay indoors too long, and the GPS fix starts to drift. So my three days at home sick looked a bit more like a busy day for a drug dealer. Hmmm. There's something called Kallman something that should help.

No comments: