Wednesday 26 March 2008

Twitter as platform

Here I really want to just jot thoughts.

What excites me about twitter, and yahoo pipes, and jabber, and the way this stuff can be wrangled into working together, is that it starts to bring the network to life. In a science-fiction kinda way.

One of sci-fi's signature technologies is the 'personal terminal'. It's a small thing, with perhaps some intelligence, but it's key feature is a permanent, on-demand connection to 'the network'. Iain M Banks in his culture world has terminals as a part of the hyper-powerful post-AI thang. Your terminal knows where you are, and you can contact society through it, both machine and organic.

Wonderful sci-fi stuff. IMHO. But the truth is it's not far off. I've a phone with GPS, it runs Java applications and can communicate over jabber with 'the network'. I can listen to my online friends public voice. I can, in theory at least, access all sorts of user generated content from my phone, based on my location, which my phone knows.

Next on the list is an exploration of location-based status reporting - the example is traffic conditions.

  • I'm stuck on the motorway - I twitter '@uktrafbot M5J3 Southbound stopped.' Or better, software running on my phone does.
  • You're planning a journey. You're route planning software checks along the route and looks for (a) recent traffic twits along the route if you're leaving now, or (b) if you're leaving tomorrow morning it looks for patterns of twits during the time you'll be travelling. And lets you know if you're route might run into problems.
  • You're travelling. You're heading along the M5. Your phone knows where you are, and periodically checks for recent twits along your route, alerting you to problems ahead.

I'm looking for a collaborator, with mobile java dev skills.

No comments: